Exams from ABRSM
Meeting the needs of learners
Since 1889, we have provided music teachers and their students with exams and assessments that nurture and evaluate an individual's performance and progress.
As the world's leading specialist in music assessment, our consistent and rigorous approach carries recognised international authority.
Motivation and encouragement
We have designed our exams and assessments to motivate students of all levels and ages, giving them a series of realistic goals and tangible rewards for their achievements.
Exam syllabuses are not intended to provide a complete curriculum. Students are encouraged to play and experience as much music as possible, embracing a wide range of genres.
- Graded music exams: Grades 1–8, practical and theory - the internationally benchmarked standard
- Prep Test: a gentle introduction to music exams for the youngest musicians
- Music Medals: exams for group-taught pupils at the early stages of learning
- Diplomas: professional qualifications in Music Direction, Music Performance and Instrumental/Vocal Teaching
- Jazz: Grades 1–5 for piano, flute, clarinet, alto sax, tenor sax, trumpet, trombone and jazz ensembles
- Performance Assessment: assessment of a 15 minute programme of free choice repertoire at any level
- Special needs: assessment options for those with learning difficulties or physical or sensory impairments
- Adult learners: exams for adult learners